Monday 19 July 2010

War and Peace: Update2

So, me and the group all completed our first 'War and Peace' interpretations, and I should start by saying that I was really impressed with the work that Kris and Jord produced; they both came at the piece from an angle that I could never have thought of and both produced beautiful work. Looks like we chose a good, versatile piece: off to a good start!
Anyway then came the next stage; producing an interpretations of another member's interpretation; or to put it more simply creating your response to their response. We decided to exchange work like so:

So, it was my job to produce a piece of work based on Jord's interpretation. By the way, in case you haven't seen Jord's first interpretation here it is:
I really liked this piece, as usual Jordan's painting was fantastic and I thought Jord had chosen a really creative and inventive way to portray war, as something mechanical, cold and intimidating.
What first struck me about the piece was the scale; in my response I had kept 'war' and 'peace' the same size, but here it looked as though 'war' was the over-bearing bully and that 'peace' was the brave, plucky underdog. It reminded me of this famous photograph of a protester at 'Tienanmen Square':
The more I thought about it the more I felt that this photograph summed up Picasso's 'War and Peace' drawing perfectly. So for my next piece I chose to try and represent this photo using the components from Jordan's painting; here's what I came up with:


Overall I am happier with this piece that my first in this project; I felt more confident in creating it. I also feel that this is the first print I have made with a sense of depth; by that I mean that a recurring problem with my prints last year was that they continuously appeared 2D and as such were quite limiting in what they could express. Although I'm far from being completely happy with this print, at least it's a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment