Sunday 15 May 2011

'Shine in Your Corner'


For the last few weeks now I have been working on what has quite possibly been my most enjoyable project  of the course so far. The project has been to produce two illustrations (one 'full page illustration' and one 'spot illustration')  in response to the story 'Shine in Your Corner' by Jennifer Guilliard.

The text is a beautifully written and very moving memoir that Guilliard wrote about her time working in an impoverished school in South Africa. What struck me when I first read the story was how although the situation would appear to be difficult and harrowing, it actually made for a very uplifting read. I think the tone of the text can be nicely summed up in a quote made by 'Mr Sali' the headmaster of the school who described the school as being: "...the poorest primary in the township but the happiest...".

The story is all about the triumph of the human spirit. It is about how the teachers, headmaster and pupils of the school remain joyful and optimistic in the face of devastating poverty. I wanted my illustrations to reflect this and portray the sense of fun and energy that I got from the story. This is what I came up with:



No comments:

Post a Comment